Monday, May 10, 2010

Make yourself at home

Hospitality can be a very simple thing if given the chance. At its very basic implementation one simply surrenders his or her own comfort for the comfort of others. Allowing the house be a few degrees colder than one is used to can be uncomfortable but it's all in the attitude... One can grit his teeth, anxious for these people to leave, while stressing about the energy bill; OR one could give with joy--singleminded toward making his guest at home.

Have you ever felt unwelcome? Ever felt like you were putting someone out? It's a horrible feeling! Just yearning for the day when you can be back in the comfort of your home. While we all probably prefer to be in our own homes, it's disgusting to have an oppresive host, who although may give generously, gives without joy, and trust me your guest can tell!

"Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” 2 Cor 9:7

4 comments:

  1. I lived with my in-laws for a short while (they were waiting for their house to be finished building). I was pretty uncomfortable----especially since I was pregnant. We all managed though and just made it work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had and have been an oppressive host. I'd rather someone be oppressive than fake it, and I'd rather do the same back because It will turn these visitations of either theirs or mine into a real pain in the ass and will make it hard to get them or I out later down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be uncomfortable if someone gives out those kind of vibes. I think giving with joy is really the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Disposable Breed: That's just my point! Don't give at all if it isn't given freely or with joy! It is not pleasing to the Lord--No matter how much you give.... It could be a million dollars... if not given from your heart with cheer and ease then it brings nothing but the most banal of pleasures. Basically... if its not in your heart to give, then don't!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!