"...There may never be another opportunity For me to hear what you never intended to say."
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
The day the music died
My dad died a couple of weeks ago. He was a huge music lover and for years I paid for his Apple Music plan just so he could listen to any song he ever wanted whenever he wanted. He loved looking up artists and sending people songs. It was one of his great joys. Toward the end of his life, I would play his music while he laid in the hospital bed. Even though he was weak and could barely speak, he would bob his head when a song he liked played, and he would even say the artist and title as best he could. When he finally passed away, and he and I were alone together in the room, the room was silent, which I know he’d have hated, and so of course I immediately on his Apple Music. Just me and my dad and his music. Music was infused in every moment of his life until the end and beyond.
But there was one point about a week before he died that his music wouldn’t play. Everything had suddenly stopped. Apparently Apple Music had increased their pricing, and I had to accept the cost before the music would play again, which I promptly did and the room filled once again with his tunes. I know it sounds irrational but I totally resented Apple Music in that moment. Like how dare they! Don’t they know what we’re going through?
Now he’s gone and I’m faced with closing out all his accounts, this subscription looms over me. I learned that you lose all the history once you cancel. Which makes sense but damn it hurts. I know I can simply screenshot it and send it to myself but this is only one tiny example of the little parts of him that are leaving me. So funny how this subscription that I resented so much in that moment, is killing me to cancel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love your comments!