Monday, July 08, 2013

Counter culture

Abortion.

Turn away now of you're not interested in what I have to say on the subject of Christians and abortion.




There comes a time in the life of every Christian when he or she has to decide whether he abides by the laws of man or the Laws of God. Whether she is a liberal or a Christian. Whether she is a conservative or a Christian. Whether he is a Republican/ Democrat or a Christian.  These titles, positions, convictions, opinions--whatever--should have NO BEARING on Christians who are living out their Faith! In Galatians, we are taught the qualities of those whose lives are being lead by the holy Spirit:

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. (Gal 5:22-23)

Are you picking up what Paul is putting down?

Regardless of who is the mayor, governor, PRESIDENT. Regardless of the laws, doctrines, edicts passed, when Christians follow the commands of Jesus the Christ, there is NO LAW that can convict us of wrong doing. For we honor a higher power. We follow divine Laws. Laws that supersede the laws of any person, city, state, country, or nation. 

It is here where I'm standing my ground. There is such a relativism among Christians today. The religious pluralism that exists in our nation has influenced Christians toward adopting opinions politically that are in direct opposition to the commands of Jesus. And to stay on point, one of my deepest concerns is the support of abortion by Christians. OF COURSE they say, "I don't think it's right, but people should have a right to do what they want to do." Or they say "I'm not pro-abortion, I'm pro-choice." 

But this language reflects opinions that are not from God. Here's the thing. When we as Christians adopt opinions that are outside the teachings and commands of the LORD, we are saying, "My judgment is better than God's." But the truth does not evolve,my friends. It is time to pick a side. The Lord commanded His angels to make the church aware:

16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot,[a] I will vomit you out of My mouth. (Rev 3:16)

It is time that we choose a side. Be either cold or hot, but teeter tottering on the line is not pleasing to the Lord. We are not called to be lukewarm Christians. 

There are aspects of my faith that are hard to understand. Why is there so much suffering in the world? Why does evil exist? Why is there so much killing in the bible? But no matter how I feel. No matter what I think. My flawed and limited judgment cannot grasp the will of God. I must humble myself to His will, His commands.  

But God alone creates life. God alone breaths life into each of his creations. And God alone should decide when and how that life begins and ceases. 

the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord. (Job 1:21)

Not blessed be the name of Jillien, who has decided when and how she should kill, extinguish, the life of another. And that is the truth, my friends. The life of an unborn child, is indeed a life--separate, yet independent of his mother. Its biology 101. Life begins at conception.

So then we get to the separation of Church and state, when we all try to divide what is right with what is legal. And as Christians we are commanded to honor authorities.


13 Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God’s servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God’s servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience.

This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor. (Rom 13:1-7)


This can at times be difficult for Christians, who are sometimes called to honor authorities that oppose the commands of God. So why not, as Christians, try to choose and elect those who are worth honoring?!?! Is there anything wrong with trying to choose leaders that live and govern by the fruits of the holy Spirit? I think not!

What do you think?


Post Script: There are amazing Christians out there that disagree with me on this point, and this is not a post to condemn or pass judgment on anyone. I just felt the need to express what I truly believe God has put on my heart. I was sitting outside, while locked out of my house the other day, when I felt a pull in my soul and these words ran through my mind. And I jotted them down over the past couple of days until I was able to sit in front of my computer and type them out.

Another thing is, I'm not a perfect Christian, and often do not LIVE out my faith. This is as much a reminder to me to abide by the commands of Jesus as to anyone else who may be reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!