Sunday, January 03, 2010

Sunday Citar: The New Year






Grown-ups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944), "The Little Prince", 1943
  

Wanna know what I want in 2010?

It is to be a better mother. It is to see my darling child and to acknowledge her grace and perfection and to rise to the challenge of rearing her in a healthy and life-boosting way. It almost seems as if the Lord sent me a perfect being, and I, a marred and imperfect person, am trying to not mess her up as much as I can.

She truly is constantly explaining, through her actions, behaviors, moods, reactions, etc., how  I am to behave. How sensitive I'm supposed to be. How encouraging. How supportive. How loving. Truly the list goes on.

When will I know that I've learned enough?

9 comments:

  1. love your thoughts here, inspiring and i think i need to reflect too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we never stop learning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a better mother is a constant goal for me. Wonderful quote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also aim to be a more engaged parent this year... to live every moment to the fullest. I don't think we can ever stop learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think we ever stop learning. :) I just added the friends connect to my blog. I hope it works :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true. As parents, we really do need to listen to our children's cues more for a truer understanding of where they are coming from. Parenting is a challenge, but the rewards are amazing.

    She looks so adorable in that picture, Jillien!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've never learned enough from a child. Stay like a child at your heart and you'll have a very fulfilled life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that is the greatest wish one can have! To be a better mother. Well, as long as you are a girl of course : ) Happy New Year. Love the picture of your precious daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh goodness, I'm right there with you. I'm really working on being 'there' with her, and not just around, but truly engaging her. I love this goal.. and the quote! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!