Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sunday Citar: Banter


The Taming of the Shrew

PETRUCHIO Come, come, you wasp; i’ faith, you are too angry.
KATHARINA If I be waspish, best beware my sting.
PETRUCHIO My remedy is then, to pluck it out.
KATHARINA Ay, if the fool could find it where it lies.
PETRUCHIO Who knows not where a wasp does wear his sting?
In his tail.
KATHARINA In his tongue.
PETRUCHIO Whose tongue?
KATHARINA Yours, if you talk of tails: and so farewell.
PETRUCHIO What, with my tongue in your tail? nay, come again. Good Kate; I am a gentleman. (2. 1. 209-219)

This is one of my favorite dialogues in any of the Shakespeare plays. Petruchio is always one step ahead of Kate. She rants and rakes at him, yet he continues to jest and allow her insults to simply bounce off leaving him unscathed. Lee reminds me of Petruchio in that respect. Although I'm usually one step ahead of his wit, he is impenetrable by my insults. We make a good Shakespearean romantic lead.

JM

5 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! I love how Shakespeare knew the right turn of phrase to show the flirtatious banter of the sexes. You do sound like a good Shakespearean duo! Now I want to read Shakespeare today. Always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fabulous!!!!!!!!! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the Bard. Great excerpt!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!